Week nine: Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

Persepolis is about a girl's childhood and adulthood of growing up in Iran during the Islamic revolution which came out in France. I didn't read the novel first, it's interesting, I actually watched the animation of it about three years ago. It's interesting because the graphic novel is non-fiction and brings out the life of how the author's childhood was – especially being in black and white, I thought that it gave the book the essence of the time of when she was a kid, as well as the environment and the event that was taking place during that time. I linked with this because although I did not personally go through it, I had family members and people I knew who went through the same things the author went through at this time. Such as, repression, warfare and loss. Because I grew up in the Middle East, but in a country that did not go through such tough circumstances such as Syria, Palestine, Iraq, Egypt, Libya and Oman. There have been many refugees that fled to Jordan for refuge, so that is how I have been effected. I am quarter Palestinian, and so part of the older generation on my Palestinian side has known these three ideas in reality. It's interesting because you would think that because of the black and white, there would be a sort of quiet factor or and essence of mellowness – but the author shows the rebellious side to the character; thus in a way showing how she wants to break free. In a sense, it is what a lot of people to this day are STILL trying to do, is to be free.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Comics - Scott McCloud

The Arrival - Shaun Tan