Batman -The Killing Joke by Alan Mooreth

The Killing Joke

  1. what was your reaction to the text you just read?
It really reminded me of watching the movie ‘The Dark Night’, with the man who acted like the joker died during the middle of their filming. It was like I could hear the sound effects and it felt like I was watching the live action movie, it felt a lot more realistic than the classic Batman comics or compared to the movie that we watched in the beginning of class that I think was made in the 60s. I felt like I was actually getting into it, the characters had a scarier and more surreal factor to them that made me feel a bit creeped out. I didn’t feel like I was really reading a graphic novel, I felt like I was watching the movie, especially with the flashbacks, and how they transitioned the panels between one another and contrasting the colors. It really felt like it was the way it would have been filmed.

2. What connections did you make with the story? Discuss the elements of the story with which you were able to connect.

Throughout the story, I didn’t even have to have sound effects for me to know what was happening, but he did add some, like the SNAP of the cards and the Joker hit it down. There were also elements like the tone of voice, I could tell what time each of the characters had based on their facial expressions. The elements I really connected with were the elements of flashbacks of how the joker was and how he became to be. I actually didn’t know that him being thrown in poison or that dangerous liquid was the reason of how he became to be the joker. Personally I felt s strong connection to how it was all formatted as well. The design elements in this were amazing and so we’re the colors. It made me really want to look at every single panel because of the details in them. I liked how well it flowed, like a movie would, and they still put all that effort in every single panel, even though some panels wouldn’t have words, which described that it was a silent scene. 

3. What changes would you make to adapt this story into another medium? What medium would you use? What changes would you make?

I think I would make this into a stop motion animation. This is because I think there would be so many cool and interesting aspects to it, especially with the visuals and the sounds. I wouldn’t bring up the scene where the Joker has his little minion creatures helping him and unclothing the old man. I think that looked a bit too intense actually because it felt like S&M - a theme that I think highly does not match this context. I know that the Joker is mad and wanted to make the man mad as well, but I think that went a bit over the limit and that was too cringey and strange. And I would probably use animatronics to create it, not clay because I would want to have a lot of definition in the musculature of Batman especially. So it would kind of be like a Coraline aspect to the animation. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week nine: Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

Understanding Comics - Scott McCloud

The Arrival - Shaun Tan